It's Everyone's Journey
3 months ago
Public transport is at the heart of modern life. And at East Yorkshire we want public transport to be truly inclusive and disabled people to be able to travel as confidently as other passengers.
However, at present too many disabled people say that they don’t feel confident using public transport and 1 in 4 say that negative attitudes from other passengers prevent them from travelling.
That’s why we’re supporting the Department for Transport’s new campaign, ‘it’s everyone’s journey’. The research behind the campaign shows that our unconscious behaviours can have an impact on disabled passengers. So we’re encouraging everyone to make small changes to their behaviour when travelling by public transport, such as:
- Be prepared to give up a priority seat
- Try not to make yourself at home in the priority space
- Be prepared to help each other
- Try to keep the noise down
- Be patient with each other
- Don’t charge through busy platforms
- Respect all accessible toilet users
We hope the campaign will encourage us all to make the changes needed to create a more supportive travel environment for disabled passengers.
To find out more about the campaign, visit gov.uk/everyonesjourney