East Yorkshire Photographic Competition 2021
1 week ago
Entries are now open for the East Yorkshire Photography Competition 2021.
This year there are four categories:
- In the city (for pictures in urban areas, such as towns and cities).
- In the country (for pictures in rural and countryside areas).
- At the coast (for pictures near the seaside and along the coast).
- In the clouds (for photos which make heavy use of editing software/composite images etc).
All entries must have an East Yorkshire buses theme - including East Yorkshire buses, coaches, vintage vehicles, staff, buildings - use your imagination!
You can submit up to six photos total - this can be six photos in one category, or six spread across the different categories, whichever you prefer.
All photos must have been taken within the past ten years, and obviously you must have taken the photo yourself!
The twelve best entries will be included in the East Yorkshire 2022 calendar.
So, get snapping! The best entry chosen will receive a £100 voucher to spend on photography equipment, and eleven runners up will receive a free copy of the calendar.
Please send us your photos using our entry form.
Entries must reach us by the end of Sunday 8 August 2021.
Please read the full competition rules before entering.
Need inspiration? Take a look at the 2019 winners, 2018 winners, 2017 winners, 2016 winners, 2015 winners, 2014 winners and 2013 winners (these are links to Facebook). The standard has been very high in previous years, but you'll notice the winning entrants show originality, so use your imagination and show us something different that stands out!
Here are some tips we've learned from previous competitions:
- We get lots of shots of vehicles outside depots or in bus parks - if you're doing this, make your picture stand out by using your imagination and doing something different.
- We don't get many photographs of coaches, so more coach photos are always welcome!
- Think about the background - a potentially great photo can be ruined by an ugly fence or a parked car in the way. Can you change the angle of the shot to avoid something unwanted in the background?
- Plan ahead to get the shot you want - especially if you're photographing a moving vehicle.
- Our open top buses are always a popular theme - so if you're sending in a photo of an open top bus, how can you make it different and exciting, so it doesn't look the same as everyone else's pictures?
- We get lots and lots of entries, so what will make the judges pick yours out as a winner? Try to make your photo stand out from the crowd.
- Always be safe when taking your photos, and never put yourself or anyone else in danger. Watch out for traffic, and never enter restricted areas such as bus parks without permission.
We look forward to seeing this year's crop of entries!